Monday, November 16, 2015

Revisiting The Flinn Gallery, Greenwich, Sponsored by the Friends of Greenwich Library

[This post was first published in January of this year. In the interim, the Flinn Gallery has continued to demonstrate its commitment to exciting, innovative art and artists.]
Lisa Corrine Davis, Capricious Circuitry, 2014, on view in the current exhibit until December 9.

In the spring and fall of 2013, two interviewers from the Greenwich Oral History Project conducted interviews with two Flinn Gallery volunteers having a wealth of knowledge about this very special non-profit education space. The first was conducted with Betty Burke (Elizabeth Hourigan Burke). As a former library trustee, her involvement with the gallery goes back to the days when it was known as the Hurlbutt. The second interview, with Sandra Herman, is equally insightful. Her involvement with the gallery also goes back to those early days.

The following is a composite summary of the interviews with these two volunteers whose contribution to the gallery’s growth and development has been critical:

What do LEGOS, TIME Magazine covers, cutout artwork and contemporary Japanese antiques have in common?  All have at one time been featured exhibits at the beautiful Flinn Gallery, located on the second floor of the Greenwich Public Library.

The Flinn Gallery is a haven for Greenwich residents to visit and become educated about and exposed to a multitude of different artists, methods and mediums from around the world.  The diversity of the Gallery’s past exhibits ranges from shows featuring flower paintings or Jim Henson’s Sesame Street, to features exhibiting personal portraits or private art collections gathered from Greenwich residents themselves.
The Flinn on the second floor of the library 

While every show varies in terms of theme and structure, one can typically find the featured artist or artists giving talks at the opening reception on a Sunday afternoon to guests eager to learn more about the inspiration, medium and development of their artwork.  Hors D’oeuvres might be passed or one might find a buffet of doughnuts and cider, with the spirit of each exhibition being echoed throughout the six week long show.  For those who are unable to attend the opening day of any given exhibit, there are often placards or even short videos accompanying the featured artwork in the gallery, offering a deeper understanding of what is being presented.

Behind every featured show at the Flinn Gallery is a group of about 60 active and hard working members, whose love of art has brought them together to share in the joy and gratification of educating the Greenwich public about various art forms.  For each of the 6 shows held every year, a Chairman and Vice Chairman are elected to organize and run the show.  Volunteers sign up to cover a variety of tasks such as hanging, painting pedestals, organizing papers and artwork and manning the desk during exhibitions.  While the end-result is rewarding for members, it is the deeply held friendships and connections that most reverberates among them.

For those wondering how artists are selected to be featured at the Flinn, the answer lies with the Selection Committee.  Planning for each show begins at least 1-2 years out.  Artists from around the world apply, and every strong contender is visited by at least one member, who evaluates the artist’s work and makes a recommendation to the committee.  The diversity of the Flinn’s past exhibits reflects its mandate: education of the Greenwich public. 

While the Selection Committee is certainly not against featuring local Greenwich artists, there is a focus on bringing in outside artists who are not as familiar to the Greenwich audience.  Artists have come from as far as Austrailia, Brazil, Norway and Scotland and have used mediums ranging from the traditional paint, clay and photography to the more avant-garde Legos and cutouts.  Each show is unique.  Sometimes the work of a single artist will be featured, and other times artists will be grouped together by theme.

The Hurlbutt Gallery, predecessor to the Flinn, was named after a well-liked, longtime librarian and was originally located in the Franklin Simon Building.  After construction of the Peterson Wing, the Flinn Gallery opened in 2000 and was named after Larry and Stephanie Flinn, whose generosity, in part, made construction of the gallery possible.  The very first show featured at the new Flinn Gallery featured pieces from the private collection of Walter and Molly Bareiss, local Greenwich collectors of over 60 years.

Designed by architect Cesar Pelli, the Flinn Gallery is a beautiful space, constructed specifically for the purpose of featuring art.  Its movable walls have hidden storage bins to hide pedestals not in use, and the fabric-covered walls are perfect for hanging artwork in many different layouts.  No detail goes unnoticed, with special emphasis being placed on the lighting and layout of each exhibition.  The gallery truly strives to make each show the best that it can be.

Pelli, an architect known around the world for the design of large scale projects including hospitals, schools and hotels, was convinced to take on designing the Peterson Wing by then-head of the board, Henry Ashforth.  As the story goes, upon Pelli’s visit to the library, the elevator doors opened on the 2nd floor revealing the huge glass walls of the Hurlbutt Gallery standing before him.  Intrigued, Pelli inquired about the gallery, and returned later for a tour when it was open.  In his own words, the idea of a free art gallery inside of the library was “fantastic” and Pelli’s design for the Peterson Wing reflected that sentiment by including plans for a proper art gallery – what would later become the Flinn.

Dan Moser Long piece, on view until January 21, 2015
Shows continue to be held at the Flinn Gallery from September to mid-June.  For those interested in learning more about the Flinn, visit the Greenwich Public Library or go to

The two interviews, “Flinn Gallery at the Greenwich Library,” with Elizabeth “Betty” Hourigan Burke, April 29, 2013 and “Flinn Gallery Participation,” with Sanda “Sandy” Herman, September 18, 2013 are available through the Greenwich Oral History Project office located on the lower level of the library or in the reference area on the first floor.

All proceeds from sales at the Flinn go toward supporting community programming at the library.

Monday, August 17, 2015

A House with History!

There sits a house on Round Hill Road in Greenwich, 30 Round Hill Road to be exact, with a fascinating history, a house that has been home to many interesting and accomplished residents.
John Henry Twachtman, oil on canvas

Our guide into the history of this house is John E. Nelson, who in March 2014 was interviewed by Constance B. Gibb for the Greenwich Oral History Project.

In the early 1960s there was always a Porsche parked in the driveway of this house, which caught the attention of Porsche-lover John Nelson every time he drove by. Nelson, a former maritime lawyer with Burlingham Underwood & Lord, first laid eyes on the home, known by locals as “the Twachtman House,” somewhere around 1964. As he describes it:

I drove down that dirt path… and looked north to see the
full façade of the house. I felt like I was discovering Atlantis.

It was so beautiful. I can see it in my mind’s eye to this day,
the afternoon sun about four o’clock on an October afternoon
coming across the balustrades, all of the grape arbor with the
Stanford White portico…I was simply blown away.

In fact, Nelson was so taken with the house, at the first opportunity, he bought it.

Situated on a manmade pond, which never would have been brought into existence under Greenwich’s current wetlands regulations, the house has undergone renovations and small expansions over the years, and yet still retains its original character and charm. Beyond the house one could find terraces, pastures, an old barn, a portico and Horseneck Brook—a true playground for the children who have grown up there over the years.

Nelson was not the first to fall in love with this home, which has captivated and housed the likes of Jim Henson[1] and local, late-1800s American Impressionist artist John Henry Twachtman. 

The artist, John Henry Twachtman, courtesy of the National Park Service, Weir Farm

One day, a full eight decades before Mr. Nelson’s excursion down that small dirt path, John Henry Twachtman was out on an excursion of his own, fishing with his son in Horseneck Brook, in what was then known as the Hang Root[2] section of Greenwich. After a short walk through the cut and up a small hill, Twachtman first laid eyes upon the house now addressed at 30 Round Hill Road. “This is it,” he exclaimed, “this is the house.”

Twachtman lived in that house with his wife, Martha Scudder Twachtman, and five children from 1888 until his death in 1902. During his time there, he was an active member of the Cos Cob Impressionist Art Community, painting some notable paintings of the shore and of the Bush-Holley House. It is said though, that some of his best paintings were those he did at and of his own home; his unique ability to capture the light, the trees and the fields just as everything was gives viewers a real sense of the essence of life that surrounded him as he worked.

Other painters in the Cos Cob painting community took inspiration from the house and grounds as well, with other works being painted there by notable artists such as Childe Hassam, J. Alden Weir, and Theodore Robinson.

In 1971, John Nelson and his then wife, Emily, had made plans to move from their home in New York City to Greenwich.  After seeing 50 or 60 homes with their real estate agent, they were finally ready to put in an offer on a nice Colonial in Cos Cob.  But, as fate would have it, something gave John a pause, and after viewing nearly 60 houses, John opened up to his agent and expressed his desire for more unique and artsy, one-of-a-kind type home.

In what can only be described as fate, John and Emily Nelson soon found themselves face to face with Jim and Jane Henson, the then owners of the Twachtman House—or “the Porsche House” as it had always lovingly been referred to by the Nelsons since John’s days of cruising by in the early 60s. After a hilarious mix-up, which involved John Nelson unknowingly trying to kidnap Heather Henson, a six-month old baby whom he believed to be his own six-month old daughter, Heather Nelson, a handshake deal for the home was made and fate was sealed. The Nelsons closed on the house and moved in that October.

As Nelson recounts, when he took over the Twachtman house from Jim Henson, the eccentricities and playful humor of the man (Henson) were reflected in the home which had housed him, his wife and his five children from 1963-1971.   There was a puppet theater in the living room, a swirled mirrored decoration in the bathroom and an above ground pool out back. The upstairs shower leaked water that came through the kitchen ceiling, so one could always find a bucket to catch the water doubling as the centerpiece for the kitchen table as the family of seven gathered around to eat. But even after moving from Round Hill Road, Jim Henson remained connected to the home through his ongoing friendship with the Nelsons.

Connection is a theme that runs throughout the history of this house.  Twachtman felt it that day fishing with his son. John Nelson felt it that perfect autumn afternoon back in October of ’64. Even ten years later at a dinner party in the city, Nelson found himself next to Cora Weir Burlingham, daughter of J. Alden Weir, who vividly recounted her connection to the house through her vivid memories as a young girl playing with the Twachtman children at their home.

Whether it be called the Twachtman House, the Porsche House or simply the house at 30 Round Hill Road, this home has provided shelter, inspiration, and has given its owners a real sense of pride. 

As John Nelson puts it: “I consider that I’m a trustee of this house. It’s just [on] my watch right now.”

[1] Jim Henson  (James Maury Henson, 1936-1990) had a varied career, but possibly is best-known as the creator of the “Muppets”—large puppet characters used in the PBS children’s show “Sesame Street,” which was launched in 1970, and later, the popular TV series for adults, “The Muppet Show.” His best-known Muppets are Kermit the Frog, Big Bird, and Miss Piggy.

[2] Hang Root—Nils Kerschus, a researcher at the Greenwich Historical Society, identifies Hang Root as a small community located between Round Hill Road and Lake Avenue, where Round Hill Road crosses Horseneck Brook. The inhabitants were African-American; most were unskilled day laborers; one operated a small farm. Twachtman (who was white) purchased one of the small houses late in the 19th century, and subsequently rented it to another white man, who, like Twachtman, was an artist. The African-American residents gradually sold their properties, and the black community disappeared.

Prepared by Erin E. Adams, Greenwich Oral History Project volunteer

Constance B. Gibb's interview of John E. Nelson, "The Twachtman House," March 2014, is available through the Greenwich Oral History Project office located on the lower level of the Greenwich library or in the reference area on the first floor.

For additional information pertaining to the early Black settlement in Greenwich known as Hang Root, please contact Nils Kerschus, researcher at the Greenwich Historical Society:

Friday, June 5, 2015

The Community Gardens of Greenwich

“Know the story of your food.”  That is one mantra of Greenwich Community Gardens, a local non-profit that is responsible for Greenwich’s two community gardens. As explained by Founder and Assistant Garden Director Patricia Degelmann Sechi, “if you’re growing your own food, you not only know your own story but you’re writing your story, and what’s really fun to think about is that we’re writing this story together.”
Growing gardens

Greenwich’s first community garden was started by Sechi and volunteers in 2009, on a 15,000 square foot plot of property off of Hamilton Avenue and across a footbridge behind Armstrong Court.  With the strong support and help of the community, Sechi led the way in clearing the small jungle that had grown on a once thriving piece of land, formerly used as a garden for residents in the 60s, 70s and 80s.  Though they had no funding, the team of local volunteers and organizations were able to repair the existing irrigation and fencing and to obtain donations to start what is now known as the Armstrong Court Community Garden.

Today, the garden boasts 125 4’x8’ gardening beds, 2 storage sheds, a sensory garden, and native gardens to welcome migratory birds and local butterfly species.  Participants at the garden enjoy a real sense of community when congregating at the community center, found at the middle of the garden, which boasts a pergola, gardening classes and even a wood burning pizza oven built by the Junior League of Greenwich.

With the help of Wheels in the Woods, an organization dedicated to universal access nature trails, gardening and housing, Greenwich Community Gardens was able to open Greenwich’s second community garden on Bible Street in Cos Cob.  The plot selected had originally been deeded to the town by Colonel Montgomery (a former Greenwich resident and co-founder of what is today the world’s largest accounting firm, PWC), for horticultural purposes, but had turned into a dumping-station for leaves.  Once again with the help and support of the community, the mountains of leaves were transformed into a beautiful community garden, which opened in May of 2014.
Cropped Garden

The 12,000 square foot Bible Street garden boasts 99 beds, 12 of which are universal access beds, meaning that they have features that make gardening possible for those with restricted mobility.  Although the garden is already fully subscribed, the vision for Greenwich’s second community garden has not yet been fulfilled, and future plans include the construction of a pergola, beehives and an apiary.  There is also hope that the garden will one day feature a composting site and large-scale rainwater harvesting.

At the heart of these projects is the idea that gardening should be available to all residents of Greenwich, and special efforts have been made to remove any barriers to participation that may exist, whether physical or financial.  To that end, tools, seeds and other gardening equipment have been generously donated by local organizations, so that people wanting to garden just need to register in the beginning of the year, then just show up and have fun. In efforts to include those with physical ailments, the universal access beds at the Bible Street garden were built with higher benches and narrower beds.

For kids (and certainly some adults!) “fun” is the focus, especially at the Armstrong Court Community Garden where children can crawl through the bean tunnel, enjoy the occasional lady-bug dance or kid-friendly gardening class.  Beyond the fun, participating in gardening allows children to learn firsthand the importance of sharing, cooperation and responsibility.

But gardening is not just beneficial for kids, as adult members have reported that participating in the community gardens has not only given them a real sense of community, but has also given them the opportunity to grow their very own fresh, organic, local food.  Members also enjoy exercise, stress relief, solace and an appreciation of nature from participating in the gardens.
Yummy greens!

Perhaps the most noteworthy feature of Greenwich’s community gardens is its endeavor not only to make gardening available to all residents of Greenwich, but also to undertake the project in a morally and socially responsible way.  The latter becomes apparent when one takes note of the several garden beds that are reserved for growing food to donate to Neighbor to Neighbor, a local nonprofit. Several independent gardeners also donate portions of their personal crops to the organization as part of their “Neighborly Harvest Program.”  Special consideration has also been made for migratory birds traveling along the Atlantic flyway, and a native garden has been planted so that traveling birds may have a natural environment to stop in along their way.

What began as the vision of a local Greenwich resident to have a community garden has now turned into a local Greenwich non-profit with an advisory board, a steering committee at Armstrong Court, and a building team at Bible Street.  All members are volunteers who dedicate their own free time toward making this project a success.  Due to the support and funding from local individuals, businesses, grants, garden clubs and foundations, we are very fortunate to have two wonderful community gardens in our town, and we can only hope that the future holds continued expansion of this wonderful project.

Prepared by Erin E. Adams, Greenwich Oral History Project volunteer

Patricia Degelmann Sechi’s interview, “Greenwich Community Gardens,” conducted by volunteer, Suzanne M. Seton, July 16, 2014, is available through the Greenwich Oral History Project office located on the lower level of the Greenwich library or in the reference area on the first floor.


Thursday, May 21, 2015

Remembering Those Who Served…WW II Interviews

“I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea.”

Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

With Memorial Day upon us, it seems fitting to turn our attention to the oral histories of our veterans who, through their stories, preserve for us first-hand accounts of what it was like to have been there, to have seen war.

Today there are numerous archives intent on preserving the stories of those who have been there, none more diligently than the Veterans History Project (VHP) of the American Folklife Center. Their stated mission is to ensure that “future generations may hear directly from veterans and better understand the realities of war.”

Signed into law in 2000, the VHP, through its volunteers, has been gathering first-hand accounts of U.S. veterans from WWI to the Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts. These accounts and oral histories also include the stories of U.S. citizen civilians who actively supported these various war efforts as war industry workers, USO workers, flight instructors, medical personnel, and others.

One of our Greenwich Oral History Project volunteers, Janet Klion, has been conducting interviews for the Veterans History Project for many years, her first appearing in their database over ten years ago.

Since Ms. Klion has interviewed veterans who are Greenwich residents, her VHP interviews are included in the Greenwich Oral History Project collection as well. Her World War II interviews are with veterans, many in their nineties when she sat down with them, who, for the most part, tell their stories as though each detail had been permanently seared into their memories. Some narrators, though, struggle to remember events occurring so many years ago. Each interview, in fact, provides a first-hand account of what it was like to take on a soldier’s responsibility when so young, perhaps as young as eighteen or nineteen years of age.

Here are highlights from some of Ms. Klion’s interviews of the veterans of World War II, who are now or once were Greenwich residents.

Stuart Coan
Ms. Klion’s most recent veteran’s interview, conducted on November 1, 2013 is of Stuart F. G. Coan, born in Kashmir, August 1, 1923, while his family was on a summer vacation to escape the heat of Lahore, where his father was with the International YMCA, in charge of a major office there. The family remained in India unti1931 before returning to the states and settling in Princeton, New Jersey, where Mr. Coan’s father was head of the English Speaking Union. After graduating from high school, Stu Coan was admitted to Williams College.

In his second year there, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps Pilot Training Program and entered into service early in 1943. But his stay was to be brief. He “washed out” because of poor night depth perception. This was followed by other brief stints, one in an army program for radio operators and another in the Army Specialized Training Program. His field was to be French language interpreter because of his coursework in high school and college. But this program lasted only a few months as well, having been “given pretty largely an axe” In late summer of 1944.

Things were then to take a dramatic turn, when he landed, literally, in the ground forces, where after training in Louisiana, he became a member of the reconnaissance part of the Eighth Armored division. “Well, as you can guess, the reconnaissance was the first tip of the unit. We were out in front to find out where the ‘enemy’ was and then try and find a way either around it or let the heavier stuff following behind us deal with this obstruction,” Mr. Coan notes.

In the autumn of 1944, the 8th Armored Division was sent to England to receive final instructions and training before departing for mainland Europe.

What happened next was momentous. In December, 1944, at the time of the German breakthrough at the Bulge, Mr. Coan’s division was rushed to France, without winter gear. “There was no place to accommodate us, so we were told to bed down,” says Mr. Coan. Bedding down meant rolling out a sleeping bag on the ground in the snow, trying to kick it away.

After patrolling in small groups along the front, the division was sent to the northern edge of the American army where the reconnaissance division relieved the troops, staying a few weeks before crossing the Rhine in the spring of 1945. “There were many parachutists, American and British, involved with the crossing of the Rhine,” says Mr. Coan. There was heavy fighting beyond the Rhine, and his division was involved in fighting in the Ruhr, a major military area because of heavy manufacturing there. “The fighting was brutal. We had heavy losses,” adds Mr. Coan. But this was a turning point, with many thousands of Germans captured. “At this point it was clear to the German citizenry that the war was getting near the end and that Germany was definitely going to lose. We encountered pathetic clusters of men, well over normal military age....They were poorly trained. They were scared.” And according to Mr. Coan, they were glad “to surrender at the drop of a hat, or the waving of a handkerchief.”

Later stationed near Pilsen, his unit was charged with welcoming General Patton. Sent out to the airfield to greet the general, the unit created “sort of a U” so that his plane could pull up into the open end. “Well, to see him descend from the airplane, the spit and polish with pistols on both hips as he reviewed our unit, this was quite dramatic. He loved showmanship...Then we escorted him back into the city at sixty miles an hour.”

With the war winding down, Mr. Coan had several more postings, this time in France, before the war was over and he was able to return to the states, demobilizing at Fort Dix, New Jersey.

 Mr. Coan completed his education at Williams and then earned a master's degree at the School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C., going on to work at the State Department in intelligence research. He and his wife later settled in Greenwich with their growing family where Mr. Coan later became a fulltime fund-raiser for the NAACP.

Stuart F. G. Coan died January 19, 2015.

Charles Standard in uniform with friends
Ms. Klion interviewed Charles (Chuck) Standard on March 1, 2013. Born July 26, 1919, Mr. Standard achieved the rank of lieutenant commander in the Navy—and his story begins with how he got there. Drafted into the Army between his junior and senior year, he was dismayed because his goal was to be a Navy pilot and “to fly off a carrier,” as he recalls it. He went to the president of the university to see what could be done. After some bargaining, he convinced the president to go to the draft board on his behalf to let him take his preliminary flight training at Purdue Airport, graduate, and then enter the service. Soon after graduation, he was in uniform as a Naval cadet and went on to learn to fly an SB2C in the war.

Soon aboard the USS Yorktown in Bombing Squadron, Air Group 1 as a pilot, he was flying off a carrier, as he had always envisioned, hitting targets in Guam, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Chichijima Island. But war dreams come with risks.

Mr. Standard remembers a particularly risky mission in 1944 when he took fire from the Japanese, an event that knocked out his hydraulic system so he could not close his bomb bay doors, lock his guns, or put down his landing flaps, all of which made a carrier landing impossible. He had to continue making runs to use up his ammunition before attempting a landing that might set off any remaining bombs. Once the ammunition was cleared, he had to land, as he tells it, “not knowing that my wheels would lock down.” He shook the plane to see if he could lock them, while having no landing flaps, with bomb bay doors open, and with no brakes. During landing, he says, “I caught the cable, and the guys came up and held the plane so I wouldn’t go back off to the stern.”

This occurred shortly after the only other incident that left Mr. Standard “scared,” an understatement for a mission in which he was lost and running out of fuel in the dark. Returning from a bombing run on the Japanese fleet near Guam, Mr. Standard knew that even with a compass, a dead reckoning for landing would be difficult. Flying on instruments, he eventually saw flares and heard from the radio. “Bobbing on empty,” he focused on one light, made a tight turn, “got a cut” (signal to cut the engine), and landed, miraculously, safely. The only problem? He was not on his carrier. He had landed on the USS Cabot, a small carrier, with no room for his plane, which had to be thrown overboard. After a week, he was returned to the Yorktown.

Mr. Standard was awarded the Navy Cross for valor but has remained humble about the recognition, preferring to focus on his good fortune, his successful career in advertising, his family, and his many years in Riverside before moving to Edgehill, which he describes as being very like a cruise ship.
Michael Weir, USMC
Michael B. Weir was born on February 23, 1925, and was interviewed on October 6, 2010. Mr. Weir’s father was in the Navy during World War I, but Mr. Weir himself had no childhood ambitions to follow in his footsteps. He, instead, attended Yale with no thoughts of war—until Pearl Harbor. According to Mr. Weir, the military “took over most of the campus,” the Army taking one part, the Navy taking the other. Mr. Weir ultimately joined the college Officer Training Program, his branch of service, the United States Marine Corps.

After training, in the spring of 1944, he was sent to boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina, a strenuous experience, and “not child’s play,” as Mr. Weir describes it. After ninety days and more advanced infantry training at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, and after receiving awards in marksmanship, Mr. Weir went to Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. Mr. Weir was deployed to Iwo Jima as a replacement in March 1945. From there it was on to Hawaii where the 5th Marine Division, to which he had been assigned, had its base camp. Soon after, the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and then on Nagasaki, at which point the emperor of Japan surrendered, and combat ended.

But the war was not over for Mr. Weir who was then sent to Japan as part of the occupation force, working to secure whatever military equipment was cached over the Japanese islands. During this time, Second Lieutenant Michael Weir flew missions to search out Japanese airfields and military installations and lived outside Sasebo, Japan in what had been a Japanese naval base. During this time, Mr. Weir became friendly with several Japanese families, as unlikely as that seemed at the time, given all that had transpired. Mr. Weir was in Japan from September of 1945 to the spring of 1946. 

After leaving, Mr. Weir was flown back to Hawaii to participate in the newly reinstituted Marine Corps rifle matches where he won the gold. When finally returned to the states, Mr. Weir returned to Yale, and went on to earn his law degree from Penn Law School. Reflecting on his experience during World War II, he comments that he was only nineteen when he was made a second lieutenant, noting that given his age and having been on the frontlines late in the war, he was spared the worst that so many others endured.

But his military career was not yet over.

Soon after passing the bar, he was mobilized in July of 1950, this time landing in Korea, the initial Inchon landing in September of 1950. The mission was to land at Inchon, capture Seoul, and take it from the North Koreans. That mission was accomplished, but then Mr. Weir was to take part in General MacArthur’s plan to invade North Korea. American troops pushed the North Korean army up to the border of Manchuria. But by the time the troops reached the Chosin Reservoirs, the Chinese had entered the war, exposing MacArthur’s underestimation of the difficulties to be encountered and the seriousness of the Chinese invasion. Mr. Weir would go on to receive the Purple Heart after being wounded during the withdrawal from the Chosin Reservoirs, an operation that took weeks and cost many lives.

Returning home, Michael Weir practiced law until his retirement as a partner with Chadbourne & Parke. He built a home in Greenwich where he lived with his first wife and family until her death, later remarrying and remaining in Greenwich until his own death.

Michael Weir died March 20, 2015.

Lee L. Davenport
Lee L. Davenport, born December 31, 1915, in Schenectady, NY was interviewed by Ms. Klion in December of 2008. Mr. Davenport is best known for his pioneering work in the development of radar, work begun as part of a secret mission at MIT where he arrived in 1941 as a research fellow at the secret Radiation Laboratory developing an antiaircraft system. While never enlisted as a soldier or officer, he would later be able to cut red tape as necessary to work in combat zones. He once carried papers that identified him as a captain in the Signal Corps in case of capture by the enemy.

After being summoned to MIT in a fashion reminiscent of a good spy novel, he was assigned to a project to make a radar system that, in his words, “could operate in all weather, pick out airplanes—a single airplane—and follow it automatically so that it would be accurately possible to aim an anti-aircraft gun at the plane and shoot it down.” His role in that project “was to get this thing built.” Undaunted, he set about doing exactly that, his efforts since credited with helping to end the war. The result of the project would forever after be known as SRC-584 (Signal Corp Radio, #584).

By 1943, the SRC-584 would be ready for action in Italy, at the Anzio beachhead. Two of the 584-directed gun batteries shot down nine German planes. According to Mr. Davenport, the Germans stopped bombing immediately. “They had taken losses that they couldn’t understand.”

According to the official history of the Radiation Lab, says Mr. Davenport in his interview, about a thousand German aircraft downed by anti-aircraft fire were directed by SCR 584 radars. On the basis of his work at MIT, the University of Pittsburgh, where he had begun his graduate studies, awarded him a PhD—on a project what was secret for twenty-five years after World War II ended.

Mr. Davenport went on to marry and have a family and to embark on a multifaceted career from undertaking important research at Harvard to holding various executive positions and including receiving many high honors and awards.

Dr. Lee L. Davenport died September 30, 2011, in Greenwich, CT.

It is impossible to read these interviews and others without being struck by a single thought: these veterans of a war that has receded into distant memory for many served with great humility, almost embarrassed by their accomplishments and forever grateful for their good fortune and long lives.

These interviews and others pertaining to the VHP in the Greenwich Oral History Project collection are available through the Greenwich OHP office located on the lower level of the Greenwich library or in the reference area on the first floor.

To see Janet Klion's interviews for the Veterans History Project, go to: